It’s never too early to start planning for the holiday season! Christmas will be here before you know it, so getting organized ahead of time is key to reducing stress and letting you enjoy the festivities. Follow this month-by-month Countdown to Christmas calendar and planning to be fully prepared for the holidays!
Summer Countdown to Christmas Calendar Preparation
Even though it’s warm, the summer months are the perfect time to start Countdown to Christmas preparations. Planning early allows you to avoid last-minute stress, ensures you have enough time to find the best deals on gifts and decorations, and allows for thoughtful and personalized preparations that make the holiday season more enjoyable for you and your loved ones.
- Create a list of everyone you want to buy gifts for, including family, friends, and colleagues.
- Research vacation rentals and book flights.
- Start Christmas craft projects.
- Start compiling ideas for Christmas cards.
- Begin shopping for gifts and stocking stuffers.
- Organize potluck signups and party invites.
- Plan your holiday budget including gifts, travel, decorations, food, cards, etc.
- Brainstorm new family traditions to try.
Fall Planning for Christmas – September to November
As the weather cools down, ramp up your Christmas to-do list!
- Update your holiday decor and buy missing pieces.
- Make any DIY Christmas gifts and ornaments.
- Check travel arrangements and book activities.
- Schedule family photos for cards.
- Start brainstorming meal ideas for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Make cleaning and decluttering a priority.
- Update your holiday dinner menu to include a few new recipes.
- Finalize Christmas card designs and order prints.
- Purchase small stocking stuffer gifts.
- Coordinate a Secret Santa gift exchange with your friends or family.
- Draw names and set a price limit for the gifts.
- Send out Christmas cards by Thanksgiving.
- Plan to take advantage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales to score some great deals on gifts.
- Finalize meals for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Make a shopping list for all the ingredients you’ll need.
- Put up your Christmas tree and lights.
- Decorate your home’s interior.
- Decorate your home’s exterior and yard.
- Order holiday treats like cakes and cookies.
- Order any holiday gift baskets on your gift list.
- Confirm holiday travel plans.
- Purchase bigger gifts for loved ones.
- Send out invitations to your Christmas parties or gatherings.
- Plan a festive menu with appetizers, drinks, and desserts for your parties.
December Holiday Countdown
You’re in the final stretch – finish up these tasks to have a stress-free Christmas!
First Week of December
- Plan your Christmas outfits in advance.
- Play holiday music to get into the spirit.
- Create a designated wrapping station to keep everything organized.
- Begin gift wrapping presents.
- Review your holiday budget.
- Make freezer meals in advance.
- Finish homemade gifts.
- Mail your gifts to ensure timely arrival.
- Send holiday care packages.
Second Week of December
- Do any final decor around the home.
- Start preparing recipes that can be frozen.
- Send out your annual holiday newsletter.
- Create your Christmas playlist.
Third Week of December
- Finalize guest lists.
- Clean the house and prepare bedrooms.
- Confirm plans with extended family.
- Buy groceries for Christmas meals.
- Pick up hostess gifts and beverages.
Week of Christmas
- Grocery shop for any last minute meal items.
- Prepare a detailed schedule for the days ahead.
- Pack if traveling for the holidays.
- Treat yourself to a relaxing spa day or a haircut to look your best.
- Enjoy the holiday spirit and all your preparation!
Following this Countdown to Christmas calendar will help you feel organized, save money, and maximize your relaxation and enjoyment when December finally rolls around. The holidays will be here before you know it, so start preparations early! Embrace the holiday spirit and the joy and warmth that Christmas brings!